My dear Colleague Directors, Chief Vigilance Officer,Senior Officers, Employees and their families, Contract , Indcoserve,Howsicos workmen, Representatives of the recognized Trade Unions-CITU, NLC Workers Progressive Union, Representatives of Associations representing Engineers, Supervisors and Officers, (GEA, EA, NGEA & OA), Representatives of SC/ST Employee's Welfare Federation, ST Employee's Welfare Federation, OBC Welfare Association, Representatives of the forum of WIPS, Officers & various cadres of CISF Personnel, Heads of Educational Institutions, Teachers & Staff of Educational Institutions, my dear Students of Schools and College, Representatives of the Print and Electronic Media, distinguished Invitees, Senior Citizens, Ladies, Gentlemen and all your families and my dear children.
I take profound pleasure in joining with you all today to celebrate the happiest occasion as our Nation commemorates the 70th Republic Day.This 70th Republic day celebrations today is more memorable and special for every Indian Citizen as the Year 2019 will also mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhiji. The year long celebration has already commenced for paying tribute to Bapuji.
On this special day, let us salute our National Flag and pay rich tribute to the freedom fighters of our Country who shed their blood and sweat for us to celebrate this republic day celebrations. We must all get together irrespective of caste, creed, religion and harness harmony for the development and progress of our Country.Once harmony begins progress will evolute in a great magnitude in an assured manner.
NLCIL is contributing towards the Nation building by means of the vital input 'Energy'. Partnering in the progress of India, NLCIL is committed to take part in the growth of Energy sector. We have already moved from a Lignite Mining & Power Generation Company to an Energy Company with PAN India Presence. Our entry into Coal Mining and Coal based power generation as well as harnessing renewable energy in a big way will add more value to the Country. We have set ourselves a high growth target to reach power generation of 21011 MW with our own fuel security from the Lignite and Coal Mines by 2025.
On the project front, we have made rapid strides. By lighting up of Unit–I Boiler of 2x500 MW Neyveli New Thermal Power Project (NNTPP) on 28th December 2018, we are close to the commissioning of the first unit by March 2019 and second unit by June 2019.
With regard to 3 x 660 MW Coal based power project at NUPPL Ghatampur, UP, project activities have gained momentum and progressing as per schedule.
With regard to South Pachwara Coal Block (11 MTPA) and Talabira II & III Coal Block (20MTPA) work has commenced and expected to start coal production within time schedule.
For the 2x660 MW TPS-II-2nd Expansion, Environmental Clearance (EC) has been granted by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
Coming to the capacity addition plan on Renewable Energy, I am glad to inform that in addition to the earlier commissioned project of the 51 MW of Wind Power and 141 MW of Solar Power, 500 MW of Solar Project is also nearing completion in various parts of Tamilnadu. Further, to the tune of 709 MW Solar power projects are under progress with the execution going in full swing.
NLCIL recently laid the foundation for 20 MW Solar plant with 'Battery Storage System' in South Andaman.
We have already made a humble beginning of 1 MW Roof Top Solar Panel in non - residential buildings of our Township.
Also, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed with Coal India Limited for formation of a Joint Venture Company (JVC) for setting up of solar power projects of 3000 MW and Thermal Power Projects of 2000 MW across India.
I am happy to inform that our project teams are making records during execution of the projects, like the NUPPL project team who have displayed an exemplary performance in the structural erection of 1018 MT in a single day and concrete work of 2640 M3 in another single day too which are an all time high record.
Another laudable project performance at Andaman was carried out by our solar project team who achieved a remarkable progress of 2.5 MW within a short record span of 2.5 months and balance project of total 20MW is under execution.
In line with the futuristic plan of our Company, NLCIL has signed MoU with Tamil Nadu Govt. on 24.01.2019 in the recently held Global Investors Meet organised by government of Tamilnadu for implementing various projects in Tamilnadu in Mining, Thermal and Renewable Energy sectors at a total cost of Rs 23,800 Crore over a period of 5 years.
I also like to brief NLCIL's performance up to 3rd quarter of current financial year, as on 31st Dec'2018:
- In Over Burden removal, all mines put together on mining front, achieved 1267.03 LM3 (Lakh cubic metre) of Over Burden removal against the target of 1049.50 LM3 and achieved 120.73 % of the set target.
- In Lignite production, all Mines put together produced 160.37 LT (Lakh Tonnes) of Lignite against the target of 159.85 LT, achieving 100.33% of the set target.
- In power generation, all the plants put together generated 15087.40 MU (Million Units) against the target of 15629.65 MU which is 542 MU falls short of the target due to the Power Surrender of 1465 MU by beneficiary DISCOMS and States.
- Power Surrender is impacting the overall performance of the Company. However, we could recover a portion of revenue loss on account of Power surrender by resorting to Power Trading.
- For the first half year of the current financial year (up to 30.09.2018), we could earn a Net profit of Rs. 647.35 Crore as against the net profit of Rs 642.97 Crore achieved during the corresponding period of the previous year.
It becomes very important that we should have strict cost control measures in all aspects to become competitive and to remain sustainable and also to be profitable
NTPL has generated 5663.15 MU (including power surrender of 1194 MU) against the pro-rata MoU Target of 5535.41 MU as on 31.12.2018 and marching towards achieving the excellent level for the year 2018-19.
As part of R&D initiatives, NLCIL has entered into a tripartite MoU with NMDC and ECT Australia for setting up an Integrated Pilot Project based on 'Coldry Matmor Process' at Neyveli to establish suitability of Lignite as a reducing agent in Iron Ore purification process.
A Mini Hydel Project of 4x5KW capacity, first of its kind in the World was installed in Circulating Water System of TPS-II at a cost of Rs.92 Lakh. It generates 1.1Lakh Units of renewable energy/year.
It gives me immense pleasure to share with you that we have been honoured with the following prestigious awards.
- Among the 1400 QC Teams participated from all over the country in the National Convention of Quality Circles held at Gwalior, our QC Teams from MINE-I and TPS-II have been adjudged as
'Par Excellence' and other 4 NLCIL QC Teams have won 'ExcellenceAward'.
- TPS-II has bagged 'Best Performing Utility Award in Thermal Power Sector' from CBIP (Central Board of Irrigation &Power), recognizing NLCIL's best practices, excellence in engineering, use of latest state of art technology and smart solution and the outstanding contribution to the Nation by setting new bench mark in generation and maintenance practices.
- Barsingsar Mines has won nine prizes in overall performance during the safety week competitions of the State Safety Council.
- 'Tamilnadu Best Employer Brand Award 2018'from Employer Branding Institute India, in appreciation of best HR practices in Employer Branding created and sustained by NLCIL.
- NIPM National Award for HR Best Practices 2018
- Time Ascent 17th Edition Innovative HR practices Award
I appreciate each and everyone who were the reason behind this recognition.
As part of the employee welfare measures, I am very glad to note that:
- Wage Revision for Non executives for a period of 10 years with effect from 01.01.2017 was settled amicably without any IR issues or third party intervention for the first time in the history of NLCIL and set an exemplary precedent for fruitful mutual dialogue, trust and understanding between Management and Trade Unions. Final approval from MOC is under process.
- MoU has been reached with the Recognised Trade Unions to implement a new incentive scheme 'Unified Incentive Scheme (UIS)' for a period of 10 years with an aim to motivate the Employees to contribute towards achievement of the Company.
While we continue to strive for business excellence in the field of mining and power generation, we always pay more attention to the sustainable development of the people around. NLCIL has launched a number of programmes under its CSR scheme in and around Neyveli, other areas wherever NLCIL and its subsidiaries are present for the benefit of the society at large.
- NLCIL along with employees contributed Rs.5.39 Crore to the Kerala Chief Minister`s DistressRelief Fund, to provide relief and assistance in rehabilitation of the flood affected people in Kerala.
- NLCIL along with employees extended helping hand to the victims of Gaja Cyclone by deputing a team of employees to carry out relief operation and supply of relief materials in the affected areas. A contribution of Rs.6.79 Crore has been given to TN Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund.
Under the CSR Scheme, as was done in previous years, we have engaged sustainable and inclusive development initiatives like promoting health, education, infrastructure development, augmentation of water resources, providing drinking water facility, skill pool creation, etc, not only in surrounding areas of Neyveli or Tamilnadu, but also wherever we have our presence like Rajasthan, UP, Odisha and Jharkhand.
I am very glad to note that our Township Administration has taken all out efforts in creating awareness under the banner 'Clean Neyveli Campaign' in segregation and scientific management of domestic wastes, garbage and utilization of wastes to make our town 'Green Neyveli'. Smart Metering, Conversion of Over Head Line conductor and various measures for conversion of Neyveli Township into a Smart City is also underway.
I appreciate the efforts of WIPS Forum and Ladies Club of Neyveli for taking all possible efforts in empowering the women.
I am very happy to note that this year also Neyveli students have brought laurels to NLCIL by their outstanding performance in sports arena. I congratulate all those Students for their excellent performances.I am very glad to note that:
- Ms. L. Jyothsna of St.Joseph of Cluny Matric. Higher Secondary School represented India and has got 5th Place in the World Youth Chess Championship held at Greece. She has also won Silver Medal in the National (Under -17 years) Girls Chess Championship held at Haryana.
- Master V.S. Pranav of NLC Boys' Higher Secondary School has won Gold Medal in the 64th National School Games Federation of India Athletic Championship held at New Delhi.
- Ms. N. JakiyaAfrien of NLC Girls' Higher Secondary School played for Tamil Nadu Junior Girls Football team in the National Junior Football Championship held at Goa and the team has won the Gold Medal.
- In the presence of Honb'le Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Neyveli students have been honoured with Cash Awards for their exemplary sports performance in the 63rd School Games Federation of India Sports & Games meet at Chennai.
- Mr. R. Sarathkumar, Jawahar Matric. Higher Secondary School has won 2 Silver Medals in Athletics and Cash Award of Rs. 3 lakhs.
- Ms V. Ishwarya, NLC Girls' Higher Secondary School has won Silver Medal in Taekwondo and a Cash Award of Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
- Ms.P. Addya, St.Joseph of Cluny Matric. Higher Secondary School has won Silver Medal in Basket Ball and Cash Award of Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
I take this opportunity to wish all success to the entire student community in the upcoming Public examinations and the entrance examinations to fulfil their aspirations. I also wish very best to all the children who are participating in toady's cultural events to make it a fantastic performance!
At this juncture, I would like to emphasise that we must be in consistent rejuvenation of our abilities with unity and integrity to accomplish amazing achievements. We must work selflessly in the interest of the company sculpting a determined approach and a disciplined working style, thereby enabling us to take successful strides towards our goals.
With more spirit and vigour, let us take a newer resolution to HARNESS HARMONY to maintain sustainability in our company's progress and contribute endlessly towards the development of our country.
As Thiruvalluvar says,
"If a man Possess strength of will and efficiency in action, he will be able to translate all his constructive thoughts into purposeful action".
SO LET US MAKE THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE.
26th January 2019